Thursday, January 10, 2013

Getting a vision out of my head...

December 14, 2012 was a horrible day. I can't imagine the grief, pain and fear those parents of Newtown, CT went through. I hope that I never know.

I've had a difficult time with this tragedy. I'm sure that's most likely due to having a first grader myself. Those could be his friends. That could be him.

I went and saw the movie Les Miserables on Sunday. It was wonderful. I was moved by a song towards the end of the film called "Empty Tables at Empty Chairs". I won't spoil the movie for you but it's obviously being sung by someone with survivor's guilt. And maybe I have a little of that. Relief that it wasn't my child's school that day. And guilt for feeling that relief.

So ever since then I have had this image in my head of the empty classroom. But not a neat and tidy classroom. A classroom that had obviously been full of life and learning, then had to be abandoned and left behind. While I was at my son's school yesterday morning for a PTA meeting I asked his teacher if I could take a photo of her empty classroom. I told her my vision and she gratefully agreed.

Here is my vision...


I dedicate this photograph to all those affected by the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Both directly and indirectly. May healing come to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment